Panera Bread inspired broccoli & cheddar soup!

Wednesday, December 18, 2013


 I was so excited when I found this recipe on foodnetwork.com!  When my husband and I were dating we often went to Panera Bread for their broccoli and cheddar soup. Not only do I love it, but I also associate it with good memories.  Which makes it a true comfort food.  This recipe is very simple.  It is one of my go to recipes for the Fall/Winter months.
 It is slightly modified from the original recipe linked above


Ingredients

6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sweet onion chopped
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half and half
3 cups chicken broth 
1 pinch of  nutmeg (I think the original recipe calls for too much)
Salt and pepper 
4 cups petite broccoli
1 large carrot chopped
2 1/2 cups Cracker Barrel marbled cheese
This recipe calls for a bay leaf but I leave it out 
I refuse to buy a whole pack of bay leaves to only use one lol.


Melt butter in a pan over med heat.
Add your chopped onion cook until slightly golden(5 minutes).
Add 1/4 cup flour.
Stir continuously
Whisk in your half and half.
Add in your chicken broth, and pinch of nutmeg(The Panera Bread secret ingredient!).
Season with sea salt and black pepper.
Simmer on low 20 minutes
Add your vegetables.
Simmer 20 more minutes.

Add in your cheddar cheese. 
Place in your blender and blend in batches

Enjoy!
I top mine with more shredded cheddar and typically serve with garlic cheddar biscuits.(We love the Red Lobster mix!)

What are your favorite comfort food recipes? Feel free to link them below!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment ♥ I appreciate each one and love to hear from anyone reading.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs